lunes, 30 de enero de 2012

Newport - Bermuda leaving Rhode Island !!

En español mas abajo..

Our visa expire the end of January, and we need to move away.
Sail to south was the only option, Bahamas , BVI or Bermuda was on the charts.
We decide Bermuda and stay there until winter pass and we can cross to Azores.
Along for two weeks we follow the weather for the leg and at the end we decide to leave on Thursday 19 on January.
On Wednesday 18 the temperature decent to 10 F -12C and a little snow cover the marina.
Tuesday night we have a farewell dinner with Jill and Brad at Hamilton (thanks for all the cookies and Burritos ) , last night we dinner with Mimi and Dan Dyer with their dog Keely, also Dan supplies last weather report from Commander Weather on Thursday early morning and go to Wickford Yacht Club for a Ypake leaving picture and horn us a farewell trip.
Dan is the Commodore of Cruising Club America the organizer of the Newport Bermuda race and he now very good this leg, was good to have his advice.
Ok we start the journey.
8 AM , calm winds from N around 8 kts, we left the Marina , say good by to our good friend Mikey who help us to get out.
Just out Wickford first surprise, the winches are so cold (temp was 10 F) their are frozen, same for the Yankee furler, I think the snow rain the night before go inside the furler and when frozen stock the furler, but after a few minutes moving the drum in one and other direction the thing goes better and after a couple hours I open the Yankee.
Wind rotates to NE then E and finally to SW with variable directions and not to strong.
First mistake was take that afternoon, my idea was to put down the main every night and only use the head sails.
But us the wind was so slow and the boat goes great only take one reef , the weather expect wind on the order of 20 kts, and I suppose with one reef gonna be ok.
Soon was blowing 35 kts with gust of 40 kts.
Fold the trinquete and leave only the main.
But at 2AM a strong gust over 50kts destroy the main sail.
As the wind increase we run downwind and the windpilot steer the boat but that gust do the boat pass to the other tack and the main sail goes from start to port and then back suddenly and explode.
Was a miserable day, the heater works ok on one tack but in the other side the stove shut off and I need to star to work on the carburetor regulating the needle , changing the fuel filter, all this with the mess of spilling diesel inside the boat, the waves shake YPAKE like a mad horse, that things, plus Max make me fell a terrible sea sick (my First in 3 years).
Why MAX, well , normally we never feed Max the day before, but the 2 dinners before leave , let him alone inside the boat for a few ours and he found the 50 Lbs food bag and open , eat all he want, as the bag is bellow the bed we not notice that.
Well in middle of my mess with the heater and diesel , Max wanna go outside , but as the condition was so hard outside , we no let him to go out...........Result a big diarrhea inside the boat!
That was the drop who fill the glass and I start vomiting , was 30 terrible hours until I feel better.
That was part of why I not put the main sail down and after broke I need to go out in the middle off the storm to put down the remains off the sail , I fell like going to die off the sea sick.
Put the harness and hook to the life line and cross the fingers, goes to the mast and down the remain , Flor from inside release the Main Halyard.
After this the things improves a little, Josefina was like me , felling terrible.
Flor was more or less ok and Pilar was the only one with no problems.
Second night we run the storm with no sail, just only the mast and the boat do 5 kts , the Monitor wind pilot do the job.
Third night was the worse, huge waves hit the boat continuously and we run downwind with the engine trying to keep the boat on line with the waves.
Every time you miss the path a wave hit you and look like if the boat go to part in two.
We turn on the helm with Flor every half our, we finish that night exhaust, when the light comes we connect the wind pilot a let he do the job for us with a little head sail.
Long long night, cold long nights..............................
On the fourth day the wind still blow hard and the Air X wind generator decide was to much and blow away, broken one off the solar panels on his way.
When the thing calm down a little we check the rigging to discover the back stay bend the radar arc and the solar panels support .
The lower shroud on the port back side crack the deck on his attach, to fix this I drill a 3mm hole on both ends off the crack to prevent continue advancing.
With the both main halyards as extra support off the mast we continue our trip.
Only with head sail the journey was very slow and some time we goes back a little.
Take 30 hours to cross the damn golf stream, with mad waves.
We have two night calms and one morning we can use the Spi Juan Corradi gave us on Newport.
Last night was terrible also, we are tired and everybody only want to arrive, but when we are 15 nm from Bermuda , the wind shift to S and the waves, wind and a current of 2 kts come against us to not allow to arrive.
With the engine we made only a speed off 1 kt, take us 12 hours to reach St George.
And here we are know trying to recover, never never do this..............................
Was the hardest trip by far off YPAKE and he survive , also us.
We learn a lot about the boat and ourself.

Damage on the boat:
1 main sail
3 wind turbine blades
1 weld on a lower shroud
1 radar arc bend
1 Morse wire broke (gear control)
2 head sails need restitch on several areas

For the rest everything works OK.

We spent a fantastic time on RI and was a very rich full experience we meet incredible people and want to say thanks to all off them, here goes a little number but be sure was many many more.
To Jill and Brad , thanks for the fantastic time on your house , the use off your truck and all the things you did for us.
To Scot and Lind, thank for SSB , we made contact everyday with the sailor network from argentina and the update the weather forecast. Also we spoke with friends up to Atartica , was great to feel we are in touch with friend in the midlle of the ocean.
To BJ Poter and family , thanks for the gift of the SSB and the Antena turner, good luck on your trip we go to follow the Even Star adventures.
To North Kingstow school department, thanks for the wonderful experience for the girls.
To John and Diane Amaral thanks for the wine , we enjoy it here hehe hip hip!
To Butch for nice moments on Hamilton bay.
To Wayne and Liza for the wonderful dinners on summer (and better beers)
To Dani for introduce us in that fantastic paradise on Hamilton Bay.
To Steve for take care off Max during our trip to NY.
To Carol and Atlar , what a warm dinner with family every Thursday.
To Simon Amral , life is very simple men , don't worry and just live it.
To Lorne Adrain and Ann Hodd for a nice thanks givin dinner and a vist to Providence
To Larry Soucy thanks for the NY app and we sure we go to Naples to check your app there ;-)
To Kevin, Linda , Meredith, Lily and Andrew thanks for the great time we spare in RI and YES we are in the Superbowl!!! GO PATRIOTS GO!!!!
To Juan and Cristina Corradi, again what to say to express the thanks we wanna give to you.
Especially thanks to Ann, Mike , Marina and Aidan, what to say to compensate all your help along 6 month there, many many thanks.
And finally to Mike and Joan neighbors on Wickford Marina , thanks thanks and thanks again for you wonderful company.
Sorry if we miss some body , we are still tired and was to many people.
Once more thanks and hope to see some day again somewhere, the world is much smaller than you think.

See you soon.

Como nuestra Visa se vencia a fines de enero , teniamos que mover.
Las opciones eran al sur , asi que estabamos entre Bahamas , las BVI o Bermuda.
Nos decidimos por Bermuda y quedarnos ahi hasta que pase el invierno y seguir viaje a las Azores.
Durante dos semanas seguimos el clima y como la cosa no cambiaba , decidimos zarpar el jueves 19 de enero.
El miercoles la temperatura bajo a -12 C y una nevadita cubrio la marina.
El martes tuvimos cena de despedida en lo de Jill y Brad en Hamilton (gracias por las galletas y los Burritos), la ultima noche nos fuimos a cenar a lo de Mimi y Dan Dayer junto a su perro Keely ,Dan no daba el prono de Commander Weather todos los dias y nos llevo el ultimo el jueves a las 7.30 am antes de zarpar y de ahi se fue al Wickford Yacht Club a darnos el cornetazo de salida y sacar unas fotos al Ypake.
Dan es el Comodoro de la Cruising Club America (CCA) que son los que organizan la regata Newport Bermuda entre otras cosas, fue muy bueno recibir sus consejos sobre esta pierna.
Bueno empezemos con el viaje.
8AM , viento calmo del N alrededor de 8 kts, dejamos la marina , decimos adios a nuestro buen amigo Mikey quien nos ayuda a soltar amarras.
Ya afuera de la bahia ,la primera sorpresa, los molinetes estan tan frio que no quieren girar, la temp esta en 12 bajo cero!! el aire helado, lo mismo nos pasa con el enrollador de l Yankee , se ve la nevada de la noche anterior dejo algo de agua adentro de las bolillas y estan congeladas, luego de un buen rato de moverlos en ambas direcciones logro que giren y todo marcha mejor luego de unas horas.
El viento rota al NE luego el E y finalmente al SW con fuerzas que van aumentando.
Primer error del viaje, esa tarde mi idea era bajar la mayor y dejar solo la trinqueta que es facil de cerrar desde el cockpit.
Pero el viento venia tan tranqui que la deje con solo un rizo.
Como el prono daba viento de alrededor de 20 kts pense que hiba a estar bien.
Pronto estaba soplando 35kts con rachas de 40 kts.
Cierro la trinqueta y quedamos solo con la mayor, derivamos y empezamos a correr el temporal.
Pero a las 2 AM una racha fuertizima , trabucho la vela (la botabara estaba con su retenida y no se movio) el timon de viento corrigio el rubo y al volver a pasar la vela esta exploto.
Conbinacion de viento y muy bajas temperaturas y bulidismo propio de no haberla bajado antes :-(((
Que dia miserable, la estufa empezo a joder unas horas despues de zarpar, cundo el barco escoraba a babor todo bien, pero en el borde a estribor se apagaba y la cosa nos estaba pa andar sin calefa, asi que me puse a laburar en el carburador, cambiando el filtro de gasoil, regualando la aguja y el flotante hasta que logre hacerla andar en ambas bandas, las chorreadas de gasoil, el olor al diesel junto con la concentracion en un punto fijo dentro del barco, mirando a popa me mato, y fue la primera mareada mia en 3 anios de viaje.
Y encima lo tuvimos a MAx dando una manito........................
Nunca le damos de comer a Max en las 30 hs antes de un viaje, pero el infeliz en las dos noches anteriores a la salida que estuvo solo , encontro la bolsa de 20 kg de comida y se dio un panzada sin que nosostros lo notaramos.
En pleno baile con las olas, la estufa , las velas , Mas queria salir , pero era tal el movimiento que hiba a termianr en el el agua asi que no lo dejamos.
Resultado , una buena diarrea adentro del barco.................................................casi se vuelve nadando a Newport.
Esa fue la gota que rebalso el vaso y mientras limpiaba empeze a vomitar hasta que no me quedo nada en las tripas.
Es lo que realmente se dice un dia de mierda.
Josefina estaba como yo, arruinada.
Flor mas o menos mareada pero se la banco y Pili fue la unica que no tuvo problemas.
Dos dias despues ya estabamos todos perfectos con la vida normal de a abordo.
La segunda noche corrimos la tormenta a palo seco, con el Ypake llendo a 5 kts, el Timon de viento Monitor cumplio su trabajo y llevo el barco perfecto.
La tercera noche fue la peor, entramos en la corriente del golfo y era un maremagnum de olas, mazas gigantes de agua golpeaban el casaco continuamente de todos lados, corriendo a motor sin velas y tratando de mantener la popa a las olas nos pasamos toda la noche turnandonos al timon con Flor, en cuanto te descuidabas un segundo PAF!!! el sopapo que te aflojaba los dientes.
Noches largas muy muy largas y frias......................
Al amanecer pudimos conectar al Monitor y junto que un poco de trinqueta descansar algo.
Al cuarto dia seguia soplando y el Aero dijo basta ,renuncio y se volo!
De milagro quedo agarrado de un cable y lo subimos nuevamente , pero ya sin su aspas que se rompieron contra uno de los paneles , rompiendo el panel de paso.
Cuando la cosa se calmo un poco sallimos a revisar el barco, ahi descubrimos que el arco de radar se doblo a proa , llevandose de paso el soprte de los paneles.
Un obenque bajo rajo la carroza en la landa, pero con el taladro le hize un agujero de 3mm en cada extremo de la grieta y esta paro.
Con las drizas de mayor de 12mm colocadas a popa reforzamos el mastil.
Le dimos tension a los popeles nuevamente y con los cuatro puntos de apoyo a popa nos quedamos mas tranquilos.
Solo con las velas de proa el viaje se hizo lento, incluso a veces las tormentas no tiraban para atras un poco.
Nos llevo 30 horas cruzar la maldita corriente del golfo, con olas de locura.
Tuvimos dos noche tranquilas y hasta una maniana pudimos probar el Spi que nos regalo Juan Corradi en Newport.
La ultima noche fue terrible tambien, estabamos muertos de cansansio y ya todos queriamos llegar, pero a unas 15 millas de Bermuda el viento roto al S , justo de jeta, con una corriente de 2 a 3 kts e n contra mas las olas y viento de 30 kts no nos dejaba llegar.
Con el motor no lograbamos avanzar a mas de 1 kts contra la marea y nos llevo 12 hs llegar.
Al fin adentro del puerto de St Georges.
Ahora a descansar y reponer energias, fue el viaje mas duro del YPAKE por lejos y sobrevivimos.
Aprendimos un monton sobre el barco y nosotros.
1 Mayor destrozada.
3 palas de aero
1 soldaduras varias
1 Arco de radar doblado
1 Cable comando del cambio roto
2 velas de proa nesesitan repararze

Por el resto todo bien.

Pasamos un tiempo fantastico en RI y fue una experiencia enriquesedora, conocimos gente increible y queremos decirle gracias a todos ellos.
Aca van algunon pero seguro nos alvidamos sin querer de otros.
A Jill y Brad , gracias por el fantastico tiempo pasado en su casa y por el uso de su camioneta.
A Scott y Lin, gracias por el SSB , hicimos contacto a diario con la red de aregentina que nos daba el prono a diario y de paso hablamos con amigos en todos lados, incluso con el Antartikos en Antartida.
A BJ Poter y familia , gracias por el SSB y el sintonizador, buena suerte en su viaje y seguiremos las aventuras de Even Star.
Al departamento de Educacion de North Kingstown, gracias por una experiencia inolvidable para las chicas.
A John y Dianne Amaral, gracias por el vino, lo disfrutamos al arribar hic hic!
A Butch por los lindos momentos en Hamilton Bay.
A Wayne y Liza por las espectaculares cenas de verano (y mejores cervezas)
A Dani por introducirnos en Hamilton Bay.
A Steve por cuidar a Max durante nuestro viaje a NY.
A Carol y Atlar , por las calidas cenas en familia todos los jueves.
A Simon Amaral , la vida es simple, no te preocupes tanto y vivila.
A Lorne Adrain y Ann Hood por una lindisima velada en Thanks Givin y la visita a Providence.
A Larry Soucy gracias gracias por el depto en NY y estate seguro que visitaremos tu casa en Napoles.
A Kevin, Linda, Meredith, Lily y Andrew un millon de gracias por el tiempo compartido en RI y SI SI SI estamos en el Superbowl ! Vamos PATRIOTS todavia!
A Juan y Cristina Corradi con sus perros Churchill y Cleo , como expresar todo el agradeciemiento hacia ustedes..................................
Gracias especiales a Ann, Mike, Marina y Aidan, como compensar todo la ayuda que nos brindaron en nuestros 6 meses en RI, muchas muchas gracias.
Y finalmente a Mikey y Joan nuestros vecinos de amarra en Wickford Marina , gracias gracias gracias por su maravillosa compania............
Perdon si nos olvidamos de alguno pero fuer muchisima gente que conocimos en RI.
Una vez mas gracias a todos y esperamos volverlos a ver algun dia, el mundo es mucho mas chico de lo que uno piensa.
Nos vemos pronto.

3 comentarios:

  1. Nooooooooooooooooooo, por favor, escriban para el pueblo Argentinoooooooooooooooooooo....

  2. It was a great joy, having you as neighbors. Max was very good to my trio of furries. He is such a gentle soul.

    I am sorry that you had to leave. I never had a chance to read your article. When I called, and told the news lady your story, she was so excited. Rhode Island neighbors know of the article. It’s such a small world. Your adventures, before you arrived in Rhode Island, to and from are something we talk about.

    We’ve been watching your adventures and are happy, and thankful, you all made it safe...we will be watching you sail away again. I envy your adventures but, not the storm parts.

    Sorry, the storm gods like Aegaeon were present, during your travels. but, Poseidon ( made sure you arrived to your destination, alive and well. Fighting and surviving, negative forces, gives one a whole outlook on life. Knowing what’s important and what isn’t.

    Stay safe, my friends, I do hope you make it back to Rhode Island, someday. I hope by this time, I will have a house and we can have dinner dates.

    Yours Always,

    Yuuki Clan (Trio)

  3. Sois unos valientes!!! Bravo!

    Gracias por los relatos.



Gracias por dejarnos su mensaje.